Welcome to One Little Corner of the World. I share with you new recipes, some family recipes, and the antics of my kids. Enjoy reading!

Monday, August 4, 2008

Mungo's Salad, Mexican Buffet and Family

Today we had the family over for dinner and a swim. The theme of the night was Mexican – for the most part. I did have to make Caprese salad along with Mungo’s salad.

The kids had a ton of fun in the pool. My boys love to play with their cousin. My brother-in-law – from previous post, along with his girlfriend, brought bean dip from Chili Heads in Alton. My sister-in-law helped me get everything ready – she always does when we have a party.

According to the forecast, it was supposed to be around 98 degrees. Unfortunately, or fortunately, it was only in the 80s – after it rained in the morning, causing us to think that the party might actually end up indoors. Being able to splash around the pool and hang out with family is always a good time. It reminds me how important family is.

I thought that a Mexican buffet would be a great idea for this evening. Hubby’s family really likes spicy food, so I thought – how perfect. We had three different kinds of meat, carne asada, chicken marinated in lime, orange, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, salt and pepper and then grilled on medium heat after the meat marinated for a while. I didn't marinate the chicken as long as I marainted the beef. I also made taco meat with hamburger and taco seasoning. With the choice of flour tortillas, hard and soft tacos, there was plenty of food to go around. Condiments for the tacos consisted of cheese, sour cream, peppers, jalapeño peppers, olives, lettuce, and tomatoes.

Along with the taco/burrito bar, there were refried beans and two different kinds of salads. For and appetizer, guacamole, salsa and chips were served. I made the guacamole myself adding salsa, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper, and of course, avocados.

Maybe I am crazy, but I really believe in fresh food. Not only did I grate the cheese, I also chopped the lettuce, sliced the olives, and used tomatoes from my garden. I just think fresh is the best. I must admit though, that I only bought whole olives because they were on sale for around .50 a can.

For dessert I made up a quick batch of sour cream cookies. They are not only some of the easiest cookies to make, but they are really tasty too. My kids love them, but I really made them for my father-in-law. He loves to end his dinner time meal with a little sweet. I had originally planned to make a cake that my mom used to make, but I ran out of time. That will happen another day. Even tho

Mugo’s salad is a recipe I received from my friend, Dot. She used to be my next door neighbor and is still one of my best friends in the whole wide world – mostly because of this recipe – just kidding.

Mungo's Salad

2 heads romaine lettuce chopped
1 lb. bacon cooked and chopped into small pieces
1 lb. rope provel cheese
4-6 green onions chopped

Place all ingredients in bowl and combine

Dressing

¼ cup water
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¾ cup olive oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 package Italian seasoning mix

Combine all ingredients except for olive oil. Add oil slowly to mixture. Right before service, combine dressing with salad ingredients – serve immediately.

3 comments:

LaQuita (Everydaymoms) said...

Cupcake Project mentioned your post about a taco bar and I had to come and try it out. My family and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mexican food and this is going to me my next dinner party idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

Stef said...

Hah - I was going to come over here to make sure that you saw my post, but LaQuita beat me to it. Thanks for the great inspiration!

Katie's blog said...

Thanks guys, I have done this type of dinner party a couple of times, and it works really well - you can prep a lot ahead of time, which makes it really easy.